Retort Pouch is a flexible, semi-rigid and leak-proof packaging solution that is made of heat resistant laminated plastic, capable of withstanding up to 250°C. This allows the sterile packaging of a wide variety of food products such as soups, sauces and cook-in-a-bag meals, making it suitable for processed, pre-packaged and convenient food products.
Properties of the Retort Pouch
- The Retort Pouch is typically made of 4 layers, is FDA approved and has undergone sterilisation process to increase the durability of the packaging.
- Propylene is the first layer which functions as a heat seal surface and provides strength and flexibility.
- Nylon is the second layer which offers resistance to abrasion.
- Aluminium Foil is the third layer which acts as a protective layer to prevent the passing of light, gas, odours and microorganisms. This layer is also capable of extending the shelf life of the product, and its stiffness is what allows the “tear notch” feature to be incorporated.
- Polyester is the last layer to provide high-temperature resistance, strength and ability to print graphics.
Benefits of using retort pouches
- It is capable of reducing heat exposure due to the several layers, which makes up the retort pouch.
- These layers also help to preserve and improve the colour, taste, aroma and shape of the food as well as minimising lost of nutrition.
- It provides easier distribution and lesser storage space. Not only is the pouch flexible in nature, but it is also capable of standing upright, which maintains the composition of food and takes up minimal space on the shelf. This allows the ease of distribution as more products can be transported at one go, saving transportation cost required.
- Lastly, the “tear notch” feature enables consumers to open the package easily and eliminates the risk of injuries caused by openers used to open the package.
Here in Streampeak, we provide various food packaging solutions for different needs and applications. In addition, we also offer Oxygen Absorber to help reduce aerobic environment to 0% oxygen and Ethylene Absorber, which slows down the ripening process of fresh fruits and vegetables, to maintain the freshness and quality of your food products while prolonging their shelf life.